Sunday, February 21, 2010

Potty Time!

I'm SO excited I want to run outside and shout down the street- "Serra used her potty!" Out of no prompting on my own, she was sitting in her bath [which did take some prompting] and she turns to me and says, "no stinky bath". To which I quickly reply, "yes, we don't go stinky in the bath! Do you need to go stinky?" Serra says yes and I fleetingly offer for her to sit on her potty which she just happened to pull out of the closet the other day and set on the bathroom floor- I was of course thinking she'd say no. But to my surprise, not only does she say yes, but she climbs out of the tub, sits down and promptly starts to go to the bathroom! After she saw my reaction and had the fun of helping me clean out her potty she sat in the tub again and then quickly asked if she could do it again. I said yes, and get this- she did it AGAIN!!! I was so proud of her! And while all of me wants to start pushing potty training, after some thought I've come to the conclusion that I should keep it at her pace. I'll occasionally ask her if she wants to use her potty- as a reminder of how much fun she had. I'm not going to pull out the underwear and start insisting on using the potty instead of diapers. But I'm excited that this is a first big step and I'm hoping it means we're on our way to potty training finally! Hurray!

5 comments:

Amy said...

Yay!!! Hopefully it goes well. I agree with what you said about going at her pace. If there is one thing I have learned about my successes (and UNsuccesses) at potty training, it is to not push it. When it is their idea, they like it a lot more, and they will do it when they are ready.

And I always tell myself that I don't know anyone my age who doesn't know how to go potty, so everyone figures it out eventually, no matter what I do or don't do. LOL

ME said...

that's so great! i starting crying when the girl i was babysitting used the toilet for the first time. it took months after that to get her completely off diapers. just take it one at a time. but serra has great timing, doesn't she? when alex comes, you'll hopefully only have to change his diapers, not his and hers!

Megan said...

that's awesome. My inlaws are potty training their 2 year old(she is also due this summer with baby #2), but they've been doing the underwear and specific times and it is so stressful on all involved. I hope she picks it up quickly and easily.

Michelle said...

That is awesome!! Congrats Serra! (and mom!)

Brandon, Christina, Ariadne said...

Happy day! I'm sure I'll be asking you for all sorts of advice when Brandon and I get to that stage of our lives. :-)

Generic125x125