Monday, May 5, 2008

Basic Dinner Rolls

I made my famous rolls for a family event tonight- and they were, of course, a hit. I've had so many people ask me for my recipe that I thought I'd just post it here! It is the most forgiving recipe I have ever dealt with- the flour can be bread flour or regular, the milk can be scalded or right out of the fridge, the sugar and shortening can be done in any combination [most sugarand least shortening, most sugar and most shortening, etc.] When I make them, I just roll them into long strips and tie the strips into a knot- with one end sticking out on top. People think they are elegant looking, but they're so easy to shape! If you click on the heading to this post, you'll find it is a link to my recipe website [which has this roll recipe and hundreds of others]

Basic Dinner Rolls

1/2 c warm water
2 T yeast
2 c scalded milk- cooled 5 minutes
1/4 - 1/2 c sugar
1/4 - 1/2 c shortening
2 t salt
2 eggs
5-6 c bread flour

Dissolve yeast in warm water. Set aside. Combine scalded milk, sugar, shortening and salt with 3 c flour. Beat until smooth. Beat in eggs and dissolved yeast, then add additional flour to make a soft dough. Knead well. Let rise until double (30-45 mintues). Shape as desired. Let rise again. Bake dinner rolls at 400F for 10-15 minutes. Enjoy!

No comments:

Generic125x125